Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Things Learned

I had a epiphany this morning and was enlightened by just a small thought. As parents we have these moments often when our children have been trying to tell us something but we weren't listening or were so distracted that we missed what we were suppose to learn. I firmly believe that we were sent to this earth to learn and being parents is a life long class that we either receive an A or we completely bomb the lesson and receive an F and everything in between.
Since Eden was born my two year old has really struggled with no longer being the baby of the family but the dreaded middle child who to often is forgotten in the shuffle of a busy family. I was struggling with his constant tantrums, refusing to take naps and acts of aggression towards me. I spoke to others trying to get a grasp on the situation and was told all was normal and he would out grow this stage. I tried to just ignore the bad behavior. It wasn't till I stumbled upon another mothers blog that I had received my answer as to what to do about Eric. In the mother's blog she spoke of similar struggles with her little one and spoke with a family member who worked as a child psychiatrist and pediatrician. He told her that all the acting out was caused by the stress over a new baby in the family. Her son was acting out because he needed the much needed attention that his mother out of pure exhaustion was not able to give. Her response was, well Daddy can give him all his attention when he comes home from work. Her family member shook his head and told her that no amount of attention from Daddy will replace the needed attention from Mommy. Mommy is the sole nurturer of the family and even though she was tired and dealing with a new baby she still needed to fulfill her responsibility as a nurturer to her son.
That really hit me, it made me realize that I'm a 24-7 , 365 days out the year Mom. I have a responsibility to three amazing and patient children. Even though I struggle with other things I still need to remember my children and their needs before the acting out occurs. I'm not a perfect mother but I'm learning everyday. So instead of just putting my children in front of the TV I turned the monster off and we played together. The afternoon went much smoother and we had no acting out from the two year old and only one tantrum from the five year old but that has to do with his up coming excitement over kindergarten and new baby in the family. I'm sure he'll have some more moments till he has a constant schedule.
When life is overwhelming and we have trials all around remember who's important, our children.

The most important thing I will ever do on this earth wont be in a office climbing the corporate ladder, but teaching my very own children in my home.





No comments:

Daisypath Anniversary tickers